Sunday, September 20, 2009

Addiction

Merriam-Webster defines addiction as the, "compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful".

Last night, I fell off the wagon. There is a guy in my life, let's call him Johnny, who I am literally physically addicted to and he has no interest in pursuing anything other than a physical relationship with me. A strictly physical relationship is something I have never had. I am a "relationship" person and have to have feelings and a commitment to have a physical relationship. Johnny is my exception. On and off for the last two years, I have preferred a strictly physical relationship with him then to not have one at all.

That was until the beginning of last month. I vowed to swear him off and cut him out of my life. I was successful up until last night. My only regret is that I broke a rule I made for myself. A rule I made and instated for my own emotional safety. The bad thing, I don't regret it. Why is that? How is it that I can continually expose myself to something so wrong for me? Is it the hope that he will change and wake up one day and actually see me? I absolutely know that I should not be around him, so why do I let it happen? In a world where as a single girl it sometimes seems impossible to find "the right person" why do I jeopardize my chances with someone so wrong?

1 comment:

  1. I think addiction is dangerous and giving in to it once will make you want to do it again. Please avoid the so called Johnny in your life. He will only create trouble in your life rather than being of any help to you emotionally.

    ReplyDelete