Friday, September 25, 2009

Soundtrack of Your Life

If you had a soundtrack to your life, what would be on it? Now, don't get me wrong, mine is constantly changing, because music can fit many different moods, emotions, and moments. Plus, if my life soundtrack was the same from when I was little it would include "Rush, Rush" by Paula Abdul and "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany, not exactly present-decade-friendly. But seriously, what would be on yours?

I seem to ask myself this question almost every Friday as I compile a group of songs together on a playlist or cd to listen to before going out and/or while having pre-drinks at my place with some friends. Now, of course, a Friday night playlist doesn't necessarily reflect what I would pick for my soundtrack. Let me explain, a Friday night playlist is one that is composed mostly of "party" or "dance" songs. A soundtrack, on the other hand, would be compiled of all the songs that would cover other emotions, not just the thrill of the weekend.

Let's take a quick look at movies. Some movies are almost as famous, if not more, for their soundtracks than the actual movie. For instance, Jaws. Sure two notes isn't exactly a great tune to listen to on a regular basis, but anytime someone hears that, they know what it is (and what it infers, "get the hell out of the water!"). What else...Hard Day's Night, Saturday Night Fever, The Graduate, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and a few of recent years, Pretty in Pink and Singles.

If I had to pick, right here, right now, these are 5 of the songs I would include on my current soundtrack.

1. "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure
2. "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2
3. "Dance Tonight" by Paul McCartney
4. "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane
5. "One Man Wrecking Machine" by Guster

Find yours. Play it, own it, and (warning: cliche ahead) dance like no one is watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment