Thursday, September 24, 2009

High School Heroes

I've noticed recently it's not only hard in the dating world, but it's hard in the making-friends world. I like to think of myself as a friendly and open-minded person, thus, I've always been able to make friends and see the good in everyone. But recently I've had a hard time just getting the chance to make friends. I've been hanging out with a couple different groups of people recently, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm just picking the wrong friends. One of the groups, for instance, basically all grew up down the street from me, we went to rival high schools (all on the same playing field academically and athletically), and played on the same club teams. However, the biggest problem I have with these people, is that even though we have so much in common and almost the exact upbringings, they won't let me in because I didn't go the same high school as them, or attend the same college and fraternity/sorority parties, and move back home when they did.

To put it simply, I'm not part of their high school clique. Now, I know what you're probably thinking, "why would I want to hang out with people who are like that?" Well, one reason would be because we have so much in common. And, maybe, the other reason is that I wish they would surprise me and be better than they seem to be. I'm always hoping for the best in people, and sure, it sets me up for disappointment, but every now and then, people can surprise you. And that is the reason I continue to have faith in people, for that moment, when someone just might take your breath away.

No comments:

Post a Comment